How to Wash Reusable Bags
Now more than ever, many of us are turning to reusable printed bags as a more environmentally friendly alternative to single use options. As well as being a more sustainable option, turning to more durable printed plastic bags or long lasting fabric shopping bags comes with a range of additional perks such as withstanding heavier weights or providing a more comfortable way to carry your goods home.
As much as we love reusing our favourite bags, knowing how to wash reusable bags helps ensure their new condition is maintained and we’re not faced with unpleasant stains. Whether you use yours for carrying groceries, heading for a day out or as your daily work bag, washing reusable bags helps to keep them sanitary so we can enjoy them for longer.
Washing Reusable Bags Made From Fabric
Cotton and canvas bags are some of the most popular forms of reusable bags thanks to their durable properties, aesthetic appearance and handy shoulder strap. Knowing how to wash reusable bags to keep them around for longer mean your favourite bag isn’t going anywhere.
- Turn your bag inside out to help tackle those stubborn stains and spillages.
- Prepare a bowl of hot water with your favourite laundry detergent. This will ensure any bacteria is killed off when you’re washing reusable bags – and they will smell fabulous afterwards!
- Leave your bag in the water to soak and hand wash the fabric, paying extra attention to any spillage sites or seams which may have a tougher build-up of dirt.
- Giving your bag the opportunity to thoroughly dry out will avoid any issues with mould. Wring out the excess water once removed from the mixture and hang your bag out to dry. In warmer weather, hang you bags out on the line and let the natural breeze do its work.
Washing Reusable Bags Made From Plastic
By reusing the same bags when needed, you are not only making an environmentally friendly decision, but you are saving yourself money on the carrier bag charge every time you head to the supermarket. If you are looking to freshen up your plastic bags for life, here’s how to wash reusable bags for the best results.
- As with the fabric method, start by turning the bag inside out to remove any crumbs or spillages that may have occurred.
- To kill any bacteria and wipe away any stains, use either an antibacterial wipe or a cloth with disinfectant spray all over the bag.
- Avoid using boiling water or harsh products when washing reusable bags as these can cause the material to deteriorate.
- Once washed, leave the bags flattened out to dry before folding away to prevent any moisture from being retained.
Choosing the Best Reusable Bags
If you are unsure which reusable bags to opt for, considering their characteristics and knowing how to wash reusable bags can help you make the best decision for your usage needs. At The Printed Bag Shop, we provide businesses across all industries with bespoke solutions so get in touch to discuss your needs today.